When I first converted my EV, I got my motor from Bob Batson.  He was
definitely steered me towards the older, simpler designs.
He was a pleasure to deal with but we weren't quite on the same page about
performance.
I ended up with an auburn kodiak controller and SCS-225 batteries.  The
batteries were a nightmare and the silly combination posts were tough to get a
good connection to.  A few of them ended up melting and having to be recast.
It was a good starter pack for me though because as a lot of new EVers do, I
destroyed it in a pretty short time.

I do agree, many New Englanders are a bit baffled by EVs.  More so when I first
converted the car in the 90's.  All of the auto parts places around thought I
was nuts and getting it inspected was always a hoot.  The NAPA store guys down
the road liked to reminisce about James Worden coming in a buying stuff and the
crazy things he was doing.  I think this was before solectria, when he was
working on solar vehicles.

So, we've had some cutting edge stuff going around here, it just seems to be
mostly at MIT and the like.

                        -Jeremy