Well said David, my sentiments exactly.
I use nordlocks on my CALB cells and they work nicely.

Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Nelson" <gizm...@gmail.com>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Keeping LiFePO4 battery terminals tight every 10k miles

Michael,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Michael Ross <michael.e.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

I really don't care what anyone else does with this information. But, don't think you are doing anything but getting marketed/suckered. This is not an argument for fun or I would have quit long ago, I am trying to be helpful. Save you money, or keep you from failing in the field. Please do as you
wish.

With how you have carried on about joints that are not in Al and Cu
studs I find your statement above a bit humorous.

You have conveniently ignored the questions I posed above. So here
they are again. What is your experience with prismatic batteries like
the TS or CALB cells that many of us are using? Is your pack put
together with no terminal prep and no washers? What is your climate
like?

Those are the joints that this discussion is about. The fact of the
matter is that some people have had joints loosen when using the OEM
supplied SS bolts & split washers and when they went with nord locks,
the joints quit loosening. I went with brass bolts (because they are
much easier to center drill and tap), a bronze lock (split) washer, a
brass flat washer on top of layered copper straps and have not had any
joints loosen. Also, I know of people who didn't clean the battery
posts and seal them with something have high resistance joints down
the road a way. When they sanded/filed/wire brushed the surfaces and
applied a dielectric grease of some sort then reassembled the pack
their issues disappeared.

Maybe they did something wrong with their initial assembly but the
cure worked. Maybe I wasted my money buying bronze split washers and
brass flat washers but it works. I would still like to know how many
miles you have on your LiFePO4 pack of TS, SE, or CALB cells and how
the joints are holding up. If you don't have such a pack in a road
going EV then please get one ASAP and assemble the way you think it
should be done and report back how it is going over the next 5-10
years.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328