Michael,

The joints on a Caterpillar are simple steel to steel using a steel bolt
and a steel nut with, perhaps, a steel washer or two.  Make it stout and
crank it tight.  Simple.

Battery connections, in comparison, are quite complex with their use of
multiple soft metals and ridiculously low torques.

Please also notice that the purpose of the joint is entirely different,
with conductance instead of mechanical adherence being the key goal.

Nordlocks DO work.  Given their great expense, nobody would use them if
they didn't.  Lock washers they are not.

Somebody posted a picture of a typical early OEM pack where they did almost
everything wrong.  They dug through the bolt bin and came up with a zinc
plated body bolt.  Joined dissimilar metals without a protective paste (NOT
Vaseline it's flammable!!).  Used leaky cells with crap chemistry (IMHO).
 And sometimes fail to even tighten them correctly.  Other OEM packs might
be perfectly engineered.

Please research the use of dielectric grease to protect electrical
connections in Industrial, marine, military, aerospace, automotive, and
household applications.  It greatly reduces corrosion that WILL happen.
 OEM battery pack is perfect example.  If those had a light coat of
dielectric grease they would look perfectly brand new when it was wiped
off.  Do some research and let me know if you find a single instance of it
causing a problem vs. the array of problems that can arise when electrical
grease is not used.  It is cheap insurance.

Best regards,

Marcus

Marcus Reddish