Sorry, I see I typo'ed 3/18 should be 3./18.  JR talks about the LiMn
chemistry from the POV of what voltages to use with BB'ing, and why he
thinks BB'ing is appropriate.  There is a lot of good information about how
the Leaf packs he has are constructed.  It sounds like he doesn't expect
the 80% life to be nearly what LiFePO4 would be.  But still good.  He is
very happy with how it is put together.  Lot's of nice (over)engineering.
 Of course, he is selling them, so there may be some bias.  You can see a
lot watching the videos.  I couldn't take issue with anything I saw or that
he said.

Anyway, I think you could trade off the cost of a BMS for the labor to BB
the pack.  That is a trade off I almost always make by nature.