phil hochstetler wrote:
My Twike has an AC induction motor and the controller and charger are one
unit the size of a toaster.  It was built in 1998.

I wonder if they are using the motor-as-an-inductor trick? On an AC motor, running chopped DC through a winding won't make it run. In fact, it will make the motor lock up! That could be a safety feature, so the vehicle won't roll away while it is charging. :-)

I know that Alan Cocconi did this on some of his AC motor controllers.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move