Craigslist brought me a B&D CMM1200 which seems to be quite a hoss at
1200W. 24V. Bagger/mulcher, 1.5A charger.

EVDL Administrator wrote:
Good find!  Note that 1200 watts is>peak< - ask those little gel batteries
to deliver 50 amps for more than a few seconds and see how far they get you!

Unless B&D have made some drastic charger improvements in recent years
(which I doubt), you can significantly improve your battery life with these
mowers by chucking out the crappy wall wart charger they come with, and
replacing it with a good smart charger.

I agree. I have a 36v Black and Decker mower, bought from a damaged freight outlet (the self-propelled feature is broken, and one wheel was bent).

The charger I got with it is first-class grade-A (for awful) junk. The best they could get for a dollar. Don't use it unless you only want your batteries to last a year or or two.

Mine came with AGMs, not gels. But they are really cheap off-brand ones.

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
        -- Albert Einstein