Michael Ross wrote:
I have an old simple ICE push mower, that might be worth converting.

I've done some conversions, both for myself and for friends.

A standard ICE push mower, or corded electric mower is easy to convert; but likely to be less than satisfactory to use. The weight of the batteries will make it a bear to push around. You'd want to use better wheels, and that gets to be a lot of work to change.

I converted a corded electric mower to battery by adding 60 2v 2.5ah lead-acid "D" cells. They were packaged into a donut-shaped box that sat around the existing 120vdc motor. The stock on/off switch operated a big relay that actually switched the motor. *Don't* use the stock switch to switch DC to the motor! It will fail almost immediately!

The batteries gave me a mowing time of 15-20 minutes. That was kind of short, but kept the mower from being too heavy.

A treadmill motor is a reasonable choice with a high voltage battery pack. They typically draw 5-15 amps. You will need at least 48v for reasonable speed.

I've also converted small riding mowers. They have the advantage of more room for batteries, and thus longer mowing times. They can also carry the weight better. The electric motor doesn't need to be even *remotely* as much horsepower as they advertise for ICE engines. We converted a Wheel Horse garden tractor where the 12hp gas engine was replaced with a 1.5hp 36v electric motor. The electric was faster, and had more mowing power than the ICE.

Avoid mowers and tractors with hydrostatic drives. They are woefully inefficient. Get one with a mechanical transmission.

On the blade hitting rocks: Copy the same setup they use on the ICE. They always have some kind of clutch setup so if the blade hits something, it can instantly stop while the clutch slips. Usually, the clutch is nothing but a big bolt that pinches the blade between a pair of friction washers.

Golf carts and small industrial vehicles are common sources of electric 24v to 48v DC motors.

You usually don't need a speed controller. With a PM motor, all you need is an on/off switch. A "start" switch that puts a resistor in series with the motor for starting can also help reduce the starting current surge.

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
        -- Albert Einstein