John,

Sorry that offended you.  It is an easy way to get a short link to a search
that is useful.

When you know the voltage you are going to run, you can determine the Volt
Amps or Watts. There is no answer without that bit of information or more
detail about other things.

As a rough cut you can look up the recommended bus bar for the volt amps.
 Then you may want to oversize it on general principle.  If it is in a
tight space with no free air around it, then you need to make it heavier.
 If it is insulated you want it to be heavier.

You will notice those charts usually quote a temperature for which they are
applicable.  The reason is they cannot support the same currents when hot.
 All your wiring needs the same careful thought.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM, John Lussmyer <cou...@casadelgato.com>wrote:

> On Sun May 04 14:34:36 PDT 2014 michael.e.r...@gmail.com said:
> >http://bit.ly/1jt7O7H
>
> Guess what, I alread knew how to do a Google search.
>
> >You will want the same or larger cross section.
>
> Than what?
>
> >It is probably better to think in terms of watts (Volt Amps) to be
> >dissipated.
> >
> >You need to account for free or forced convection or insulated.
> >
> >Expected temperature of surroundings makes a big difference.
>
> Yup, and I don't actually know all that information.  I'm not a car
> manufacturer spending millions on engineering everything in advance.
> I'm a hobbyiest, trying to come up with a reasonable size.
>
> So, I've been leaning towards some 1/4" x 3/4", or 3/16" x 1".
> For those who've worked with vehicles that draw the kinds of currents I've
> mentioned, does that seem reasonable?
>
> >On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, John Lussmyer <cou...@casadelgato.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> So, I'm updating my F250 to use Nissan Leaf modules.
> >> 3 modules in parallel, 40 sets in series.
> >> Trying to figure out bus bar size I'll need.
> >> Truck cruises at 60mph, at about 125A.  The 2 mile steep hill from the
> >> ferry will probably be more like 400A (possibly more.)
> >> Would 3/16"x3/4" be big enough?
>

> --
>
> Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck!
> http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250