It's long been a big complaint - the guess-o-meter - across many forums.
Nissan made some improvements, supposedly, but I completely agree with your
preference.

I do my own range calculations.  They aren't very accurate either but at
least I know my basis.  I have a general idea on the miles/kwh (that's the
way Nissan chose to display energy consumption) for different conditions.
So, if I know the distance I will travel and the rough distribution of
conditions, I can quickly calculate kwh.  Then, I convert that into bars:
total capacity is 24kwh and there are 12 bars so each bar is 2kwh (this
isn't exactly true, but close enough).

For me, the crude numbers I use are:
summer city driving: 2.5 miles/kwh
summer 40mph roads: 4 miles/kwh
summer freeway (65mph): 3 miles/kwh

winter city driving: 2 miles/kwh
winter 40mph roads: 3.5miles/kwh
winter freeway (65mph): 2.5miles/kwh

I will say that my numbers, above, are pretty loose.  I always end up
consuming more bars than I estimate.  I don't know if that's because the
gage isn't linear or because I'm not including enough for overhead, such as
heat, A/C, etc.  I haven't tried to be more accurate because, So far, it has
worked well enough.

Peri