You, sir, have just described the battery gauge Tesla uses (though the display
is a tad fancier).  Except they added tick marks every 10% for extra
convenience.

I find the 'ignorant masses' are capable of learning.  They may not (and very
likely won't) fully understand what a kilowatt-hour is, but they seem pretty
good at figuring out that they have 20 of them, they drove 80 miles, and now
only 2 remain.  Also, they cost $0.12 each (or $0.21 each, 70% of which is
transmission charge, if you're unlucky enough to have my utility).  Makes more
sense to give the units their proper name than to make up a non-technical one
simply for the sake of being non-technical.

-Ben