Joe, You said, "The vibration characteristic you describe is common with
involute spline connections (I've seen this here at work).  When splines
are loaded, the male spline is centered in the female spline by the tooth
loads.
Run the same set unloaded and this natural centering ability goes away.
 Now, one spline is offset relative to the other which creates a larger
mass unbalance and higher vibration.
"
However the symptom you describe, is exacerbated upon an unloaded
condition, the loaded condition has the vibration and an  unloaded
condition minimises it... P.S. it is bot my problem as this discussion was
started by another member and I was only recalling his description of the
symptoms...And motor mounts if rubber can cause a shutter with AC drive
motors so use solid metal motor mounts and there is no vibration to be
absorbed by the mounts as with a combustion engine (ICE).

*Dennis Lee Miles *

*Director   **E.V.T.I. Inc.*

*E-Mail:*  *evprofes...@evprofessor.com* <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>

   *Phone #* *(863) 944-9913*