"But in the long run, when all the oil is gone, we will still need the density
of chemical fuel for the long-haul interstate travel.  And
Hydrogen is one technology worth looking at." I disagree.  The only reason we
could not power all our transportation needs from electricity is when you are
operating somewhere that has none and it is not practical to provide it - ie in
the middle of no-where and on a short timescale (ie no time to install PV or
whatever).  For that, bio-fuels would work perfectly well and you could use
ordinary ICE vehicles with it so no need to spend (yet more) countless billions
developing FCVs and their equally insanely expensive infrastructure.

I'm sure you are saying "What about those long distance trucks?".  Well, aside
from the obvious fact that most of this sort of transport should be on trains
(preferably electric ones) there is no technical reason why trucks couldn't be
EVs too and definitely not so if major highways were equipped with inductive
power transfer technology.  This is simple to install and compared to what they
are talking about spending on an H2 refuelling infrastructure, cheap as chips
(fries)!

MW