People talk in amp-hours because it's easy and/or they're being sloppy.
Batteries are sold in standardized packages (1 cell @ 3.6V for lithium, 3 or 6
cells at 6V or 12V for lead) at which amp-hours is the metric used to
differentiate different capacities.  But when you build a big series string (as
in an EV), the voltage is arbitrary, so you're 100% correct.

Amp hours are particularly useful for at least one measurement:  state of
charge.  A lithium battery's amp-hour capacity is pretty much constant no
matter what the discharge rate, while its watt-hour (i.e. energy) delivery
depends on load (because at higher loads, more of its watt hours are wasted
making heat in the cell).  Lead's amp-hour capacity is somewhat more
rate-dependent, but still more predictable than energy.

Likewise, amp-hour capacity is independent of cell performance.  Two different
lithium ion cells can both be 100Ah at 3.7V nominal, yet differences in
internal resistance can cause them to yield different energy outputs.  These
aren't directly specified by a manufacturer, so again, the Ah is an easier
number to grab.

Cheers!
-Ben