Mechanically, that's an awesome idea -- perfect, even.

But...thinking it through a bit further, there's a pretty substantial geometric
problem: the V8 and the differential are in line with each other and can't be
re-positioned...and the side of the transfer case with the low gearing is in
that same line -- connecting the front axle output to the transmission would
shift everything out of line. 4x4 transfer cases are also optimized for low
speed and high torque, but this setup would have to contend with 5000 RPM on
the freeway.

It's still something to keep in mind, though, but using an AWD sports car's
transfer case as a way to move the electric motor to the engine compartment
instead of in place of the driveshaft. If there's room, and if the geometry
works out, and if I could find a suitable reduction gearset to put between the
motor and the transfer case, it may well be a good option.

Thanks!

b&