Buddy,

I installed a "belly pan" on both my previous and current EV.  I know many
say it's not necessary for this reason, but I did it mainly to keep water,
dirt, and snow from getting into the engine compartment.  It isn't
completely sealed off but it keeps the bulk of it out.  I have no idea
whether it had any effect on range since I did it virtually from the
beginning in both cases.  I used heavy gauge (but still flexible) plastic
called Plastex that I bought in 4' by 8' sheets at Home Depot. It seems to
have held up well. There's a picture of what it looks like from my previous
EV here:  http://www.evalbum.com/1974

- Peter Flipsen Jr
Hillsboro, OR