Tesla's response:

"Safety is Tesla’s top priority and it is a principle on which we refuse to
compromise under any circumstance. Mr. Rutman purchased a vehicle on the
salvage market that had been substantially damaged in a serious accident.

We have strong concerns about this car being safe for the road, but we have
been prevented from inspecting the vehicle because Mr. Rutman refused to
sign an inspection authorization form. That form clearly states that in
order for us to support the vehicle on an ongoing basis, we need to ensure
the repairs meet minimum safety standards.

Regardless of whether or not the car passed inspection, Mr. Rutman would
have been free to decide where to conduct any additional repairs and to
leave with his vehicle. There was never any threat to take away his vehicle
at the inspection or any time thereafter and there is nothing in the
authorization form that states or implies that we would do so.

Additionally, Mr. Rutman opted to have his vehicle repaired by a non-Tesla
affiliated facility. We work with a network of authorized independent repair
facilities to ensure our safety standards are met. It is also worth noting
that Mr. Rutman is not on any “blacklist” for purchasing Tesla parts.

While we do sell certain parts over the counter, we do not sell any parts
that require specific training to install. This is a policy that is common
among automakers and it is in place to protect customers from the risk of
repairs not meeting our safety standards."