I am afraid I side with Tesla on this.  As much as I like to be able to tinker
with 'my stuff' here we have a very complex system with many sensors and
actuators that are all controlled by the onboard computer systems.  The car has
been repaired by (apparently) someone with no training on making sure all these
system, some of them safety systems, are working.  Tesla says let us take a
look, if it's all ok we will reactive the car, if not you have the choice of
getting them fixed or abandoning the project.

I read the 'at your cost' part to mean at a minimum that Tesla would not pay to
transport the car from where ever it was to a suitable testing facility whether
they would charge for the inspection or not.

As an aside I had a similar talk with Mercedes when the onboard computer in my
car got fried (wiring issue - their fault out of warrantee and no recall).  I
tried to get  a replacement from the wreckers and was told sorry, the computer
is flashed to the VIN of the car and unless I replace 'all' the various
interlinked components including the keys it won't work - only a new computer
will work.  Talking to my non dealer mechanic he said many of the new cars are
like this and there are system he can't easily service.

Lawrence Harris