Reverse-cycle air conditioning (heat pump) uses typically three times less energy than a resistive heater for the same amount of heat.
Plus you can use it for A/C in the summer. This is what the OEM EV's do.

Pricey, however. A resistive heater is probably a more economic choice, however. Next size up in cells costs less than a heat pump and will likely give better overall service life due to the lower DOD in the summer months. Also, run the heater for a few minutes while still plugged in to warm up the cabin. Takes the chill off with zero load on the battery.

To be humorous, but much to the point: Why not simply burn coal for cabin heat? Better yet, lignite. _Much_ cheaper and more compact than diesel fuel. A bit higher greenhouse emissions but ......

Bill D.