David, that was my experience with my C-cars and their so called heaters as
well. All it did was bring the smell into the interior. Dach

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

“We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes
I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves
meant more
deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green
fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a
view.” - Aldo Leopold

     On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:42 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 On 29 Oct 2014 at 20:31, Lawrence Winiarski via EV wrote:

> I'm not familliar with the car you mentioned.  How did they do [motor
> heat for the cabin]?

Pretty much the way I described it.  The car as originally designed had
passive scoops on the rear quarter panels for motor cooling.  Here's an
example where you can clearly see the scoops.

http://www.evalbum.com/2781

The manufacturer later added a bilge blower to force air from the scoops
through the motor.  The downstream side was ducted into an air diverter
(simple plastic tube with movable doors) so it could be directed below the
car, inside the car toward the passenger footwell, or toward the windshield.

There were problems with the design.  There wasn't much heat to begin with.
The blower also didn't really produce enough pressure to get the air to the
windshield with usable velocity.  The air smelled bad after being run
through the motor.

I converted a room space heater by splitting and rewiring the elements in
parallel for the car's 48 volts, and adding a DC motor for the fan.  For
windshield defogging, I used a hand-held hair dryer plumbed to the ducts
from under the instrument panel.  The heat still was inadequate, but it was
definitely better than the factory heat.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator