From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Ben Goren via EV
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:37 PM
To: brucedp5; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Hand-wringing EV angst is not a real problem

On Nov 18, 2014, at 3:49 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Range anxiety is often cited as one of the major reasons battery
> electric vehicles have yet to take off in the mass market. But does it
> actually exist in practice?

That friend of mine whom I mentioned a week or three ago is, I think, a
typical example of how range anxiety expresses itself.

Best I can tell, he's the ideal example of somebody who'd be happiest with
one of today's freeway-capable production electric vehicles. More than
enough range for what he actually drives, plus all of the other advantages
the rest of the choir here knows so well.

But he's worried that there might be some random emergency with the wife
or kids or parents that has him driving all over creation on no notice
when he's already at work and thus used up a quarter of his range.

I don't think he's ever actually _had_ such an emergency that a typical
electric vehicle would be unable to handle...but the fear remains.

I think 200 might be the magic number for my friend and people like him.
Most people are going to think of that as a 100=mile radius, and think of
that as more than enough "Murphy factor" to not have to worry. Only those
with insane commutes are going to think of that as not being enough.

Reality doesn't necessarily play much of a role in these sorts of
decisions. I could suggest that, for the once-a-decade time (if that) my
friend actually needs to make that sort of an emergency excursion he could
easily hire a cab, and it wouldn't matter. "It's better to have it and not
need it than need it and not have it" is the mentality at work.

b&