A quick and cheap way to warm a pack is with an inexpensive electric-blanket.
These are produced in such high volumes the cost is fairly low, are easy to
obtain, and. these come with a thermocouple heat-control, so you will have a
little more control over maintaining a steady pre-heating of your pack than
a heating source with no thermal control.

Years ago (the conversion days), the night before a rally, drivers would
pre-warm their PbSO4 packs to 100F by putting an electric-blanket over the
top of their wet-cell pack.

Since heat rises, if it were possible to place the folded blanket under the
pack, that might better utilize the heat provided.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Cold-Charging-Lithium-Experiences-tp4667675p4673895.html
Danpatgal
Feb 20, 2015; 12:25pm
Re: Cold Charging Lithium Experiences

Reviving this thread as we're having another very cold stretch here in the
Eastern US.

My batteries (SE130 CALBs) are still going, but boy do they sag when it's
cold like this.  It's annoying.

I've been charging when my BMS sensors (atop each cell) are over 0C, which
they have generally remained over the past few weeks despite the cold
(thankfully my garage generally stays above 0C).

But, my follow-up question on all this is if the BMS measurement is good
enough.  For example, I guess there is resistive heat that gets generated
upon charge/discharge/shunting that probably make the sensors read higher
than the cells themselves.  How much, I don't know.

Does anybody have any thoughts, experience on this?  We've gotten down to
-20C with a HIGH today of only -10C ... yet I'm charging.  I didn't really
want to do it, but I was dragging so much on the road with low SOC%, I had
to, or risk having to really limp home.
Dan Gallagher
http://www.evalbum.com/3854
-