Does the data presented apply to Li-Fe-PO4 or only to Li-Ion metal oxide? I know that they have a distinctly different chemistry than metal oxide cells, and I know that they have different charging characteristics. It is likely they have different cold weather charging behavior as well.

I looked up a few references on the web and you seem to be able to charge LiFePO4 cells down to -10 C quite normally with no caution mentioned about going to lower temperatures. An example is Powerstream Batteries <http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm> show in their specifications charge down to -40 C. The A123 cells spec sheet show a temperature range of 55 to -30 C. I don't see any reference to lithium plating out or anything drastic when I restrict my search to LiFePO4. ( I also ignored blogs and forums. I just looked up papers and manufacturer specs.) I think that cold weather effect may be restricted to lithium-ion "metal oxide" cells.

That reflects my personal experience with a pack of LiFePO4 ThunderSky cells in freezing Colorado weather with outdoor storage. The vehicle took a few miles to warm up the pack, and range suffered a bit because of voltage sag due to cold weather, but that was about the extent of it.

I think it is important to not group all Li-ion in the same basket. The LiFePO4 cells share a few of the characteristics with metal-oxide cells, but are quite distinct in many ways. Also, there are a great variety of metal oxide li-ion cells, which are distinct from each other.

Bill Dube'