This is from 2006 and yes they may have improved the electrolyte but it's best
to foillow your battery manufacturers guidelines on this.

The effect of temperature on the cell voltage and
electrode potentials during charging at 5mA is similar to
charging at high currents, lithium plating was observed in all the cases and it
was aggravated by
decreasing the temperature. In particular, the CC step vanishes as
the temperature
drops to −20 ◦C, where lithium plating occurs
as soon as the charging starts and accompanies the whole charging
period.

This observation may be associated with these two factors: (1) graphite suffers
from a
high over-potential due to the decrease in ionic
conductivity of electrolyte and the slowdown in kinetics of Li+ ion
intercalation into graphite and (2) the plated lithium cannot fully
re-intercalate
into
graphite before the end of charging.

As the temperature is at 0 ◦C or above 0◦C, the charging time is dominated by
the CC time, and the charging capacities achieve more than 31 mAh (97% versus
the full capacity of 32 mAh). As the temperature drops to−10 ◦C, the total
charging time remains almost unchanged, whereas the portion of the CV time is
significantly increased. With respect to the increase of CV time, lithium
plating is aggravated and the charging capacity
accordingly is decreased from the full capacity (32 mAh) to 26 mAh. These
results suggest that Li-ion batteries should not be charged below 0 ◦C.

Study of the charging process of a LiCoO2-based Li-ion battery
S.S. Zhang ∗, K. Xu, T.R. Jow
U.S. Army Research Laboratory, AMSRD-ARL-SE-DC, Adelphi, MD 20783-1197, USA
Received 30 January 2006; received in revised form 14 February 2006; accepted
Available online 18 April 2006