On Mar 25, 2015, at 2:00 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> When it
> comes to estimating remaining range, the problem gets even more difficult.

I think that's where the real problems come in -- and they're the exact same
problems for any other vehicle.

Are the miles you're planning on driving from Sedona to Flagstaff (all uphill)
or the other way 'round?

Are the miles you're planning on driving cruising at a constant and sedate 45
MPH or are they all going to be on the drag strip?

Are the miles you're planning on driving with an empty load, or are you about
to hook up a trailer with a 500 gallon tank full of water?

Personally, I'd be happy with a gauge that measured usable kWh capacity, with
the actual numbers labeled. If the car leaves the factory with 50 kWh useable,
the dial goes from zero to fifty. If you've used the car hard for a few years
and you only get 30 kWh usable out of the pack, the dial still goes from zero
to fifty but the needle never points past thirty.

Couple that with a real-time display that shows you power output in kWh / mile,
and most people will be able to intuitively answer any question they might
think of.

It's also a direct parallel with what people are already familiar with in ICE
cars: a tank that is effectively calibrated in gallons (even if it's not
labeled that way) and, in many cars, an instant MPG reading.

b&