> On Mar 26, 2015, at 8:48 PM, Jamie K via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
> For example, if the display shows 50%, then 50% of 20kWh is 10kWh.

Why bother with the intermediate conversion to KWH?  If you know how far you
can go on 50%, then you are done.

With my 2011 Leaf, I know I can travel 10 miles on the last bar, 20 miles on
the last two bars, 29 on the last three bars and 37 on the last four bars. This
is with fully inflated tires,  the climate control off, keeping the speed below
50mph, never accelerating hard enough to have more than 3 power dots filled at
once (there is always one filled), and only using regen or coasting to slow
down. If I keep the speed under 35mph I can get another mile or so per bar.

I know to never be more than about 35 miles from home when I get to the last
four bars. Since the miles per bar on the first 8 bars is significantly less it
is essentially impossible to be more than 35 miles from home before getting to
the last four bars.  The last four bars is about 50%.  However, it is possible
to be more than 20 miles from home with only two bars left.  I make sure I plan
to avoid this situation.

Of course this algorithm gets thrown off a bit because a bar gets erased every
time the car is power cycled.  If I'm on a trip where I care, I have to make
sure I notice how many bars are active before I shut it off.

Ed