I think the discussion on self driving cars here is very short sighted.  I
think it will be the most exciting development in personal transportation over
the next 20 years.  I think the situation will develop like this:

Initially, the cars will just emulate humans that are good drivers.  They will
be polite, paying attention, following the rules, and have faster reactions
than humans.  They will slow down when traffic slows, they will stop at stop
signs, etc.  Since they are paying attention all the time, that automatically
puts them in the top 50% of drivers.  Their biggest challenge will be dodging
the crazy humans around them.  During this time, they will also have to figure
out where the road is, when completely covered with snow.  That's a challenge
for humans sometimes.

As the number of self driving cars increases, their environment will become
more predictable.

Eventually, there will be a back channel wireless communication system that
lets the cars contact the other vehicles in the area.  That is when things get
really interesting.  If a car doesn't answer back to inquiries, it must be
human driven and the cars will leave it a larger margin of space for
unpredictable actions, and follow human driving rules.  If all cars are self
driving, they can operate by different rules.  For example:

  -  On a green light, all cars rollout together.  No need to wait for the car
ahead.  Each car knows when they will all roll.
  -  Approaching a 4 way stop, the cars negotiate crossing order ahead of time
and go through without stopping.
  -  Merging from 3 lanes down to 2 can be done efficiently, without all the
backups, delays and jockeying that happens now.
  - Cars up ahead on the road can warn following cars that a deer has been
spotted.  That allows them to start adjusting before their sensors detect it.

I am sure this is just scratching the surface.  Imagine how things could change
when every car is in contact with the others, and can count on full cooperation
to do as expected.

Mike