On 14 May 2015 at 9:21, Ben Goren via EV wrote:

> How many people living in McMansions are going to be happy shutting
> down basically everything, especially all the air conditioning and pool
> equipment they paid so much extra to get the 400A service for in the
> first place, every time they want to charge the car?

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you.  I didn't realize you were talking about
home charging.  I thought you were suggesting that electrical infrastructure
to support 60kW charging wasn't common.  I was saying "Sure it is, it's
right there in many recent high-end housing developments."

Of course a homeowner won't want to shut down the pool heater and aircon to
charge the EV.  So if you're talking about home charging, that would require
a second service drop dedicated to the EV.  The cost would be astronomical,
not just for the electrical service, but for the charger.  I can't imagine
it would ever fly as a mass market product.  It'd be a custom built deal for
the likes of Elon Musk and Neil Young, 0.1-percenter-and-EV-fan types.

If the EV were smart enough to reconfigure its drive inverter as a charger,
it could bypass a lot of the charger expense.  IIRC, at least some of the AC
Propulsion EVs did that.

So, apologies if I didn't get your original point.

PS - Lee is right.  I didn't consider the fact that the power companies
design for residential continuous load at a tiny fraction of peak load.  I
was thinking too narrowly.

I expect one person in such a development, maybe two, could charge EVs at
60kW.  I don't know how many more, but at some point protective gear
somewhere would say "whoa, no more," making a lot of electrical customers
unhappy.

Thanks to both of you for catching my errors.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator