I don't know of a lithium cell that would be carrying significant capacity
at 2 Volts. That voltage would not hurt a Li cell. 2V would be a reasonable
low cut off.  Higher gives you more leeway if your are far out of bottom
balance. If you bottom balance to begin with you are safer for a longer
time.  A DIY'er can bottom balance, but a pack manufacturer has to devote
more time than they are willing to top balancing.

The Batt Bridge would warn you if one cell has gone off the reservation.
Not which one, but you would know in which half pack and then you check the
individual cells.

The high cutoff is different depending on the chemistry of the positive
electrode.  It is very important to get this right because fully charging
cells in conjunction with high temperatures the situation that is damaging
to Li cells.  A chemistry like LiFePO4 has a lower voltage/capacity curve
than most other cell chemistries.  3.4V max might be all you want for max
voltage on a LiFePO4 system (CALB, others).  Other chemistries would be
safe at 3.4V or less, but some would not be charging very well at that low
voltage.

This the upper cut off situation is when you want to know exactly what you
are dealing with - and this is probably a hard thing to sort out with
uncertain supplier chains you <-- importer <-- exporter <-- Chinese factory
for example.

Mike

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:02 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV <
ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 28 May 2015 at 10:18, damon henry via EV wrote:
>
> > There are a couple of fairly simple solutions to that particular
> > problem.  First, a charger that is set at a low enough voltage to limit
> > that danger.
>
> I'm not a lithium expert, but this sounds like it should work well as long
> as your cells remain balanced.  If some are different temperatures,
> differing efficiency could get them out of balance.
>
> I would think you'd also need some kind of over-discharge protection.  I
> wonder if  that could be something as simple as a Lee Hart "batt-bridge"
> imbalance alarm.
>
> http://www.evdl.org/pages/battbridge.html
>
> Do lithium cells have enough voltage falloff when flat to make it work as
> needed here?
>
> Sorry about the bike/truck confusion.  That one flew right past me.  :-\
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>