Ken, do you have a multimeter?
No, buy one for a few bucks,
put it on resistance measurement and probe the 3 wires,
If this is indeed a 5k pot then there will likely be 2 pairs of wires
that read about 5k (for example blue-black and green-black) and between the two
pairs
(blue to green) it will likely read a low resistance.
Now depress the throttle and read again.
There will be one pair that is still 5k (for example blue-black) and one pair
that
has dropped in resistance (for example 1k from green-black) while the
resistance between
the pairs has increased (for example 4k between blue-green)
The pair that is always 5k are the "ends" of the pot and represent the black
and red
from the controller. The wire that has changed resistance to both others is the
wiper
(white on the controller).
Just connect it and if the throttle does not ramp the controller up but starts
at max and
ramps down, then you must swap the ends (black and red).
Success!

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.