On 15 Jun 2015 at 10:37, Rick Beebe via EV wrote:

> And while it's a very nice near-factory-quality EV now, it's still
> 17 years old.

I agree.  This is a dead weight holding back sales of used conversions.  For
many good reasons, lots of EV hobbyists convert old vehicles. The problem is
that when you go to sell, the vehicle is even older.  And hardly anyone
wants to BUY an old vehicle.

It's the lack of reliability outside the drivetrain.  It's the headaches
getting even routine spare parts.  But it's not just the head saying no,
it's also the heart.  The vehicle looks dated.  It won't impress friends and
family.  It doesn't have all those features one expects on new cars --
cupholders, navigation, a USB jack.

You may be able to beat this with an especially unusual or distinctive old
vehicle.  Some examples I can think of are Karmann Ghias, Opel GTs, Saab
Sonetts, Austin Minis, and Fiat 850 Spyders.  Of course this is MY list and
yours is probably quite different, which just goes to show how challenging
it is to pick a salable glider.  :-(

The Renault R5 ("Le Car" in the US) was quirky and interesting.  It was
remarkably comfortable (love those cushy seats) and I remember its handling
(in ICE trim) as outstanding.  But I don't know whether it had a large
enough following when it was current to register on the collectors' radar
today.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator