* Keep discussions EV related *

Sieving through all the newswires on plugins, one can foresee see some
coming trends, along with mis-information still being spend by automakers.
With the slightly less pump price$ (<$4gal), the public has relaxed its
buying habits.

One might make the mistake of thinking their buying will shift back to huge
inefficient (more vehicle than they need for the one-person commute) SUVs
ice. But the news piece below mentions rather that buyers are going to
smaller (non-electrified, non-plug-in) ice ...

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/business/20150615/honda-to-kill-its-civic-hybrid-and-cng-models
Honda to kill its Civic hybrid and CNG models
By Charles Fleming Los Angeles Times  06/15/15 ...

While a new Accord hybrid will debut for 2016, there will be no plug-in
version of that vehicle until 2018 ... will go forward with a planned [fcv]
by 2016. Honda will also offer "an entirely new generation" of all-new
battery electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles after 2016

"This reflects zero interest from American consumers in small,
fuel-efficient cars -- especially more expensive hybrid versions of small,
fuel-efficient cars," said Karl Brauer, of Kelley Blue Book. "This is in
keeping with where the market is going, away from hybrids and toward
smaller, more efficient [ice]." ...
[© Daily Democrat]
http://www.wsj.com/articles/honda-to-discontinue-cng-and-hybrid-civic-models-1434386062

The above news piece reads like copy handed to the media outlet by the
automaker (it is the automaker's words, not fact). What is not said is the
automaker's mood-change is not new, and their attempt to rationalism their
change with 'buyer demand'.

IMO, I can not see their 'excuse' as valid. Weak efforts on the automaker's
part (they never really wanted to sell plugins, and like TMC, wanted to sell
a few fcvs), in combination with the 'threat' of the other automakers'
pressure of going fcv (TMC aka:Toyota, -many-others-, recently BMW & more),
and their dislike for less profitable plugins, are forces on the automaker.

Yet in:

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/honda/accord/honda-accord-goes-hybrid-51877
Honda Accord goes hybrid
16 June 2015 ...
"We're not concerned with mass-market hybrid," said Honda Australia chief
Stephen Collins. "Instead we'll focus on the premium end. We see the growth
at the top-end of the mid-size hybrid market." ...

Which reads like the automaker is willing to make high-end/more-costly
electrified vehicles (for Eco-feel-good affluent buyers) if there is a
profit to be made (money talks).

But IMO, I foresee something else. That change to weaken the CA-CARB mandate
smells of the dilution of the former CA-mandate of years ago as a prelude to
the U.S. administration change that happened at about the same time (which
fought the CARB mandate tooth and nail).

So, does brick-and-mortar (old-school) automakers' marketing changes signal
they are betting on the coming elections to favor their 'non-plugin' way of
thinking? ... (it looks that way from what I am reading).

Also, some will notice that I am including more nEVs (lower cost,
sub-highway-speed EVs) in the newswires I post. Another change is that these
nEVs are no longer just focused on lower income countries. TMC has long
pushed that the only EV-market are nEVs. Now, other companies are selling
nEVs because they are a lower-priced transportation solution that consumers
enjoy. China buyers like low cost nEVs, and now Euro buyers are going to be
offered the same deal. For companies that sell nEVs, it is cheaper thus more
profitable for them plus there are less regulations on these lower-speed EV
to be hassled with. Sadly, none of these nEVs at this time are offered with
L2 charging which would make them a truly viable low-cost EV (a 50mi@30mph
nEV w/ a L2 6kW on-board charger= ~20mins to 60%SOC?).

EVangels should stay vigilant to know of these automaker marketing changes
and continue to promote the EV-cause no-matter what is thrown at us. Even if
it gets as bad as in the 2000's when automakers got-away-with not
making/offering any plugins at-all by just giving-away egolf-carts/nEVs.

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}