I agree most wholeheartedly with the pro-BMS group, such as Cor, Lee, and David. You need a proper BMS on all multi-cell li-ion packs.

Without exception, all EV OEMs have a BMS installed. The automakers wouldn't spend a dime that they don't have to, so a BMS is a very necessary thing on a Li-Ion pack.

There is a wide variety of BMS's for sale in the home-builder EV market. The few well-established brands, specifically made for EVs, work very well because they have ironed all of the bugs out of them. (They are not the cheapest option because they have done the R&D and development.) There are many newcomers to the market that don't work so well. Often, these are poorly designed and/or have poor quality control. RC cell balancers tend not to work well at all in an EV environment. You must read the reviews, install carefully, and test after installation to be sure the BMS is working correctly. Trust but verify.

If you need convincing about the need for a BMS, simply watch the cell voltages in real time on an OEM EV with the maintenance software through the OBD port. For example, use LeafSpy Pro and a WiFi OBD dongle on a Nissan Leaf. The BMS is always hard at work balancing the cells and controlling the rate of charge, even in a new pack. It is amazing to watch just how busy it stays doing its job.

If you don't have a BMS, you really don't know what your cell voltages are doing, do you? You _THINK_ you know, but you don't. That is the problem. Blissful ignorance, until the fire department arrives.....

Bill D.