Paul,

The Third header in the article reads:
"Self-Discharge Phenomena in Lithium-ion batteries"

Here is another article modeling the self-discharge as well as the capacity
loss of Li-Ion batteries:
http://www.juliandehoog.com/publications/2013_TENCON_ModelingSelfDischarge.pdf

Just to clarify, here an important quote from it:
"Cells have been shown to lose a certain amount of charge
during storage through so-called leakage currents of two
different kinds [4]. The first type of leakage current occurs due
to reversible lithium-consuming reactions in the electrolyte,
which reduces the stored charge but not the capacity of the
cell. The second type of leakage current occurs due to
irreversible lithium-consuming reactions in the electrodes,
which reduces not only the stored charge but also the capacity
of the cell."

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.