Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
Lee, Thanks for setting me straight that the backlight draws so much
power that it is better not to use a zener.

The older E-meter/Link-10 had LED displays. They drew more current. The later LinkPro/LinkPro-Lite has an LCD display with LED backlight. These draw less, but the backlight is still a power hog and takes about 30ma at full brightness. The measurement electronics adds an additional 10-20ma depending on what it is doing at the moment.

An ordinary buck
converter can be OK if both the meter power and measurements are
connected only to the pack, since then no chassis connection exists.

Sure; that's fine if you don't mind the continuous supply current. It's not a problem in an EV that's driven (and charged) regularly. The problem comes if you park the EV for months, and forget to disconnect the meter and don't have some kind of charger connected.

Do you know if the meter can be powered off when the car is not used
without losing its memory?

Yes, they have an EEPROM that retains setup information. But it will reset the accumulated amphours to zero.

--
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We
allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value.