Chris Meier via EV wrote:
No backlight.

I'd have to check, but I don't think they give you the option of powering the backlight separately, or of turning it off. With most modern LCDs, you can't read them without the backlight anyway.

Older ones of course work without backlights; but they are now not "fashionable", and so rarely used except in the very cheapest lowest-powered gadgets ($2 calculators, etc.)

Isn't it funny that the old-fashioned analog meters and accumulators
worked with NO power supply, and with extremely low burden currents? For example, a voltmeter can easily draw 10 microamps full-scale, and mercury amphour accumulators still work at 1 microamp.
--
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We
allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value.