I like epoxy-based spray-in pickup truck bedliner material. (Not the rubbery
glop, but the rock-hard stuff that you mix and apply with an undercoating
gun while wearing a good respirator.)  You can apply it right over bare,
clean, degreased, etched steel.

It should be available from a store that sells auto body materials.  You can
also contract with a professional applier who usually does truck beds.  That
will cost more, of course, but you won't have to worry about the poisonous
fumes from the spraying.

I take no credit for this idea.  Mary Ann Chapman first suggested here on
the EVDL in the mid-1990s.  She used it in her Desert Lightning conversion
pickups' battery boxes.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator