Well, there's a lot of good to say about plywood. It's non conductive, extremely strong, flexible, won't corrode, won't melt, easy to work with, relatively light. It burns and rots are it's two drawbacks. You might not have a rot problem any more since, I think, you are moving away from lead.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jay Summet via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Sent: 31-Aug-15 1:59:46 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] suggestions for non-conductive battery box liner?

I received several good suggestions for battery box liners, and probably the best match for what I wanted was using Polyethylene (HDPE) or ABS plastic. Unfortunately, their costs were more than my "no more than 3 times the cost of plywood" criteria at $120+ for a 4x8 sheet, compared to the $20 I spent at home depot for some birch plywood.

So, I ended up just buying plywood to replace the existing plywood. It has been OK for 10 years, although it is discolored and starting to rot in a few places, so I figure it'll be OK for another 10 years, and it's certainly cheap enough that I can replace it when I replace the cells next.

Jay