On 08/06/2015 11:24 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
I like epoxy-based spray-in pickup truck bedliner material. (Not the rubbery
glop, but the rock-hard stuff that you mix and apply with an undercoating
gun while wearing a good respirator.)  You can apply it right over bare,
clean, degreased, etched steel.

It should be available from a store that sells auto body materials.  You can
also contract with a professional applier who usually does truck beds.  That
will cost more, of course, but you won't have to worry about the poisonous
fumes from the spraying.

I take no credit for this idea.  Mary Ann Chapman first suggested here on
the EVDL in the mid-1990s.  She used it in her Desert Lightning conversion
pickups' battery boxes.

Not a bad idea, but I think I'll avoid it for two reasons:
1) My battery boxes are nowhere near clean or degreased or etched, and the prep work probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

2) It doesn't sound like something I want to do at home (more from the prep-work needed than the actual application), and since the batteries would have to be removed to do it, it would be complicated to get the truck to a professional applier.

If I was doing a brand new conversion where the battery boxes were brand new, I might be willing to buy the gun and respirator and do it at home, or hire a flatbed to get the glider to the applicator.

I actually think this would have more benefit on the OUTSIDE (bottom) of the battery boxes to protect from the elements.

On the other hand, the cheap rubbery glop may be something to consider, like tool dip for a battery box....especially if I don't need to do any special cleaning beforehand....

Jay