On Oct 22, 2015, at 12:18 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> In order for the individual to
> see the value proposition, the truck would need a range of at least 200-250
> miles, a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs+, and cost under $60,000.

We can do some math on that.

Trucks, especially heavy-duty ones that can tow that much, are big and heavy
and tend to have poor aerodynamics. I'll be generous and suggest they might be
able to manage 500 Wh / mile, or two miles per kWh, though it'll almost
certainly be worse. And that's obviously for just the truck, unloaded.

So, to target a 200 mile range for the unloaded truck, you'd need at least a
100 kWh (usable) battery. That's more battery than Tesla has ever sold in a
vehicle.

Now, load the truck down with 4,000 pounds in a decidedly-not-aerodynamic horse
trailer and push the range to 250 miles? I think it'd still be generous to
merely double the battery requirement.

And you're now looking at the same class of problem that rocket scientists
face...a quarter of a megawatt-hour of battery capacity is itself going to be
insanely heavy, requiring even _more_ battery to make up for all the extra
battery you're hauling.

And all this is supposed to cost $15K _less_ than a base-model Tesla Model S?

I don't think so!

b&