Ben,
The irony is because urbanites prefer these "farm vehicles"
due to the tax breaks that apply even if you do not have a farm
and never take your 4x4 off the asphalt, but simply enjoy the
cheap vehicle that is (still) not required to be as safe as a
sedan or minivan, because it legally still classifies as a
stuff-hauling farm vehicle, even though half America uses it
as a passenger vehicle.
The lower safety requirements and lower taxes are really the only
reason that trucks (and SUVs that classify as truck) are so
overwhelmingly popular: you get a lot of vehicle for your money
and thus also larger margins for manufacturers, causing them to
favor and promote these vehicles even more.
Overseas they recognize this craze and the common tricked-out
4x4 truck with certifiably non-off road capable low profile tires and
oversized rims is known there as "boulevard-tractor"
referring to the crowd (cruising main street boulevard) and the
farm legacy of the vehicle (tractor).
It is high time trucks are recognized for what they are used for
and legally made equal to the safety and tax requirements of the
other passenger vehicles, that would take a lot of incentives
for these inefficient vehicles away.

I have driven a small light truck for several years, because that
was the affordable EV that I could get my hands on at the time
I was looking - not always the easiest choice but I do like the
utility of having a bed to carry stuff around for those times that
I need it, even though I have also managed to carry a 2-person
sofa bed in my Classic Prius or 2 50-gal drums.

So I would definitely be interested in a commercially available
EV light truck, just like what was the most common EV 20 years ago.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.