I have been thinking (dangerous I know)
Is there a way for an instrument (live ohmmeter / ammeter)
or an electronic circuit to recognize the gauge (and surmise
the amperage protection likely in place) ?

eg, measuring ohms from neutral to ground,
(for 120 circuits) or doing a millisecond high-load
test to see voltage drop?

(I'm not an Electrician or an EE, but I have faith
in their ingenuity :-)

Where would i need this?
For example, I got permission to charge from an inside outlet
at a small building under construction.   no idea at this time
if it is 20a.    (In this case, I could bring my circuit ID tool
and look in the panel but don't need to at level 1 :-)
(I got my EVSE cable yesterday ! :-)