If everyone is following the rules, you shouldn't need that. From the outlet,
you should be able to assume the wiring behind it.  You could have a 15A outlet
with 20A wiring, but I wouldn't try to draw 16A from it.  While the wiring
could take it, the outlet isn't rated for it.

Tesla has a system kind of what you describe.  Their charging cord has
changeable ends.  From the plug installed, they know the voltage and current
capability they should expect.  They draw 80% of the rated  current.

While ramping up the current, they watch the voltage.  If it drops too much,
they back off the current and warn that the wiring has a problem or an
extension cord is being used.  It then remembers that maximum current for the
next time it charges at that location.

Mike