Paul,

There are a number of places in your home that are _required_ by the national electrical code to have dedicated 20 amp circuits for the 120V receptacles. There are at a minimum five (5) 20 amp 120V receptacle circuits in a modern house:
https://dbs.idaho.gov/programs/electrical/publications/2014_Homeowner_guide_brochure.pdf
Sometimes, in a low-cost tract house without a garage there are less, (and in older homes there could be fewer) but typically there are quite a few more. The places that you will find additional dedicated 20 amp receptacles for; the microwave, the garbage disposal, occasionally the dishwasher, etc. Often, the savvy custom home builder will call for upgrades on 20 amp 120V receptacles for the patio, pool, workshop area, green house, deck, workout area, home entertainment area, basement, etc.

You will notice that the code requires a 20 amp circuit for the garage, were your EV is likely to be parked.

In commercial buildings, typically _all_ of the 120V receptacles are 20 amp.

I used to be an electrician, many years ago. I wired (and rewired) _countless_ houses. :-)

Bill D.