I have an S-10 conversion with a resistive heater core (I assume from EVA, who supplied the rest of the kit). Unfortunately, I believe the heater core may be failing. It still draws 10+ amps when I first turn it on, but the draw rapidly drops to under an amp within 15 seconds, where it used to draw 10+ amps all day. It still has plenty of air flow from the fan, but the air does not heat up at all (it used to get lukewarm).

I know that if you don't have air flow over the resistive heater element it will self regulate (resistance will go up), but the fan is blowing plenty of air. I figure either the element itself is compromised somehow, or perhaps it is no longer in the airflow path (I don't know why this would be, possibly it fell down or something...)

Reading a standard S10 service manual (I have a 95 model) I will need to remove the entire dash to access the (original) heater core. I was wondering if anybody who had installed the EVA resistive heater kit could tell me anything about how the resistive core is mounted, and if perhaps it would be possible to access it by pulling the blower motor off the firewall instead of removing the dash? (I'm hoping here....)

Tips/trick for debugging the problem short of actually removing the entire dash would also be appreciated.

I have an email out to EVA asking how much it would cost to buy a replacement part, as if I remove the dash I want to be ready to replace it right away (and I'd take the opportunity to install a new amp hour gauge at the same time...)

Jay