On 13 Mar 2016 at 6:55, K O via EV wrote:

> So replacing internal combustion engines with all-electric ones would
> use 4 to 8 times as much electricity as refining petroleum

Folks who oppose EVs like to make calculations like this to "prove" that EVs
are actually a step backward.  They simply ignore data that don't support
the answer they want.  Then they write the news release and the corporate
media pick it up.

Corrections come later, if at all, but for some reason the media never play
those up as much as the original anti-EV screed.  Gee, I wonder why. :-\

In this case, the refining itself is only part of the electricity use to get
oil from the ground into gas tanks.  With no ICEVs on the road (which will
never happen, but we can dream), we could eliminate all the electricity used
by filling stations, for example.  I suspect that pumping the goo from the
ground also uses electricity, but I don't know.  Also, what about pipeline
operation?  Pumping stations use thousands of kilowatts, no?

I'm far from an expert on these matters, but I'm sure others here who are
familiar with refining and distribution processes can name other electricity
uses in these applications.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator