The numbers cooking game is always a creative endeavor.

I just did three oil changes on my ICE (they do not  usually all come
around at the same time so I really noticed the cost).

A number of fuel-unrelated items come along with ICE operation that are
absent EV use. My Scion xB with 200K on it has used a gallon of complicated
oil every 5000 miles for a total of 40 times $20, then there are filters,
etc.. They also require a number of other chemicals that require
specialized manufacture, marketing, shipment and so on that are not part of
EV use.  I lay that electricity needed for computer graphics of Castrol
commercials at the feet of ICEV.  Tesla doesn't indulge in much of that.
instead allowing youtube and twitter to serve instead.  Is the Donald
taking a page from the Elon?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM, dovepa via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> It is a stupid argument on many levels. It takes 5 to 6 kwh of electricity
> to refine gasoline. An electric vehicle can travel 16 to 20 miles on that
> much power. So it is close to a wash in that regard, however, refiners make
> their own power so unless they feed the grid it will still need to come
> from existing electric plants so it would be a net increase. It take on
> average 911 kwh a month to run a house and average of 35 gallons a month
> per person in gasoline use. That would increase you electric use by 175kwh
> per person or 20%. Since the grid supplies far more power in the daytime
> than at night and most people charge there cars at night I would say there
> would not be much impact to the grid. In reality though, all people are not
> going to switch to electric are once so it will be gradual. It the switched
> all at once the bigger issue would be out of work petroleum workers.
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message
> --------From: K O via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 3/13/2016  12:55 AM
> (GMT-06:00) To: ev@lists.evdl.org, ev-requ...@lists.evdl.org Subject:
> [EVDL] confirmation on thie info please
> This fellows numbers don't seem right to me, but I don't carry stats
> around in my headaccurate? or not?Phil Boettge The US uses 33% of its
> electrical capacity for industrial purposes.  Of its industrial uses, 16%
> are for refining petroleum products.  So 5.3% of the US electrical capacity
> is used for refining petroleum.Replacing all of America's cars with
> all-electric vehicles would increase American electrical demand by 21.7 to
> 43.4 percent, depending on whether one accepts 6 or 3 miles per kilowatt.
> So replacing internal combustion engines with all-electric ones would use 4
> to 8 times as much electricity as refining petroleumChoose Love,
> KO
>  I don't shop where I can't charge.

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>