From the point of view of most people, it's a reasonable problem -
whether you own the long-range car or rent it. Not that many 200kW (pick your wattage) chargers would be needed respective to the number of drivers on the roads. Certainly you wouldn't need that capacity at home - how many miles can you drive around town in a day - and the existing L2 is sufficient for almost everyone. But, on a long trip, yes.

If we're going to shift away from ICE vehicles, we going to need some other technology that can deliver long ranges and quick "refill" times. That could be fuel cells (though not with the current technology). Or it could be BEVs. Regardless, the 300 or 400 mile range is a necessity. In my opinion, it's less about matching what current drivers are used to with ICE vehicles. It's more about what a person wants to endure while traveling. How fast, how long without a break, how long a break. (I'm a wimp when it comes to sitting in a car - 2 hours is plenty for me, though a 15 minute break is sufficient.)

So, assuming a certain number of long range drivers on the road, it is fairly predictable how many high speed chargers would be needed along freeways and major highways. Once we have the battery technology and the chargers exist, it becomes a different discussion as to whether one rents or owns a long range vehicle.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "dovepa via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 13-May-16 4:31:17 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Prof. Clare Grey defending her LiO2 (fluffy carbon) battery paper

I am saying that if you got the energy efficiency of a Tesla you would need a 120kwh battery to go 400 miles at least and maybe more. A Tesla charger they say on 110V outlet you get 5 miles range an hour or 80 hours to charge and on 220 V you get 30miles of range an hour 13 hours to charge. On dual 220 volt chargers you get 60 miles an hour 6.5 hours to charge and on a supercharger you get 300 miles range in an hour or an hour and 20 minutes to charge. So, without a Tesla you options are diminished in charging options and your best bet is a chademo at 60kw per hour. And how often do you drive 400 miles and do you want to wait that long to charge? We might go over 80 miles in a day four or 5 times a year and over 400 miles in a day say once or twice a year. Most people I know you BTW don't even own an electric car will rent a car for long trips so as to avoid car problems. Got an issue call the rental company.
They are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

-------- Original message --------From: EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 5/12/16 10:20 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Prof. Clare Grey defending her LiO2 (fluffy
  carbon) battery paper