Seems to me there would be some technical difficulties to overcome as well. You
just posted an article about a college professor and his students doing this.
Only they used removable nodules in parallel which solves many of the issues.

-------- Original message --------From: EVDL Administrator via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 5/13/16  8:37 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle
Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Prof. Clare Grey
defending her LiO2 (fluffy
        carbon) battery paper
Doing some dreaming here: wouldn't it be cool if you could buy the range you
needed when you needed it?  It'd be kind of like buying $5 worth of gas, or
filling the tank.

Suppose EVs had fully interchangeable, standardized, leased battery modules
that could be swapped out in minutes.  When you wanted to take a trip, you'd
go to a swapping station and swap your (possibly flat) battery of, say, 10
modules (100 miles range) for a fully-charged 30 module battery (300 miles
range).  You'd get billed more for it, of course.

After your trip, you'd returnk to the swapping station and exchange your 30-
module battery for another 10-module one.  You'd go back to your 100 mile
range, which would be plenty for your daily commute.

I know all the potential pitfalls and downsides of battery exchange and
leasing, but still ... having (and paying for) exactly the range you need
would be really nice, don't you think?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator