Watt does an L2-loving EVangel really need to drive as an EV example?

% The piece speaks of EV'r who L2 charged his Leaf across the USA. It also
sez he is going to make a 2nd trip with the following goals:

 ... a dedicated effort to publicize the cars in general. The plan is to
seriously engage the media on this critical contemporary development; to
speak at schools and universities to young people who in some cases may
never own anything but an electric. To work with local legislators and
familiarize them to some extent with the urban planning dynamics which
electrification requires.

Is promoting EVs across the U.S. by L2 10kW charging in a foreign built EV,
that has no L3 capability, and only a 100mi range, be the EV example he
should push/drive?

IMO either of two the U.S. built 200mi EVs would be a better choice. If he
can wait, the Tesla-3 EV will most likely will have an on-board 10kW charger
(without any special effort from Tony).

Or if he can not wait, perhaps he can work with Tony to L2 10kW modify a GM
Bolt EV (which will be coming a little sooner). Both will also have L3
charging capability which is important to have (though you may use it less
than L2).

Another idea if (with tony's help) a Bolt was to be modified, would be
similar to my 6 onboard chargers in parallel, and on one of Tony's blog
pages (see link below), where a production EV has two j1772 6kW ports,
providing a L2 12kW charging ability.

Using plugshare.com filters, to look at how many and where the CHAdeMO or
ccs L3 charging are located across the U.S., ccs has almost caught up with
CHAdeMO. But Tesla's public charging is wide spread and contiguous (you can
get from point A to B no-problem).

As a 15 year driver of an EV that had multiple chargers installed, I drove
and used it as an example as there were no production EVs at that time. Now,
the public has many choices, and a Tesla-3 fits the tripper's need for
faster L2-10kW and also offers a L3 ability.

The 100mi Mbenz EV is ~$42k. A 200mi Tesla-3 or GM Bolt are ~$35k.
IMO either of latter are much better EV examples to show off to the public.
%

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/06/15/48-states-nissan-leaf-new-tree-state/
48 States In A Nissan LEAF, + A New Tree For Each State
June 15th, 2016  Brian Kent

[image
http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2016/06/cross-country-Nissan-LEAF-3-570x321.jpg
(cross country Nissan LEAF)

http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2016/06/cross-country-Nissan-LEAF-1-e1466035995677-169x300.jpg

http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2016/06/Mercedes-B-Class-Electric-570x428.jpg
“Is this the next step?”
]

Editor’s Note: About this time last year, one of our electric vehicle
enthusiasts and occasional writers began planning an ambitious challenge for
his 2013 Nissan Leaf. Brian Kent hoped to travel to all 48 contiguous states
and their capitals en route to a world-record-breaking all-electric road
trip, which he expected would take just ~100 days and cover the equivalent
of 1000 marathons: 26,219 miles. We recently caught up with Kent for a
summary of what happened.

CleanTechnica (CT): So, how did things go?
Brian Kent (BK): Better than I could have expected. Better in almost every
way.

CT: So you finished? 26,000 miles in a hundred days?
BK: Well, I finished … every contiguous state capital. Planted a tree in
every state.

CT: How long?
BK: 235 days start to finish, including brief layovers with the Bollar
family in Southlake, Texas, and at Sal “UBUYGAS” Cameli’s place in Roselle
Park, New Jersey. 43,339 miles.

CT: 43,339 miles in 235 days? In a 2013 Leaf?
BK: Yeah, I averaged almost 190 miles a day despite the rest breaks. For the
first 5 months, I averaged over 210 miles daily — two and a half times the
EPA estimated “range.” I guess that sort of proves EV range isn’t quite as
important as people make it out to be.

CT: Lots of charging stops, I guess.
BK: It comes with the road trip territory. I learned an immense amount about
charging stations — the good, the bad, and the ugly — and now I’m working on
plans to improve them with the help of a lot of really great EV people I met
along the way.

CT: So, I guess we can now call you our resident EV charging expert. 😀 What
were some of the highlights?
BK: Without question, the people. The country is quite beautiful, but the
people match it easily. And what’s wonderful about taking an electric car
around is you actually stop to see things, small-town America. You talk to
people. The people were amazing! Despite worrying about what I’d be doing at
charging stations, there were countless people seemingly waiting to talk
about the cars and technology. People really want to know about electric
cars!

CT: So, what’s next?
BK: Well at the moment I’m dividing my time about equally between writing
and planning the second Negative Carbon Roadtrip. I have a few hundred thank
you’s left to write, as well as a few months of writing to capture the
essence of the first trip in a book. The second trip is tentatively
scheduled to kick off on the first of January, 2017.

CT: Wait, what? You’re doing it again?!
BK: Yes and no. This time, it isn’t about proving an electric vehicle can do
it. This time, it’s intended as a dedicated effort to publicize the cars in
general. The plan is to seriously engage the media on this critical
contemporary development; to speak at schools and universities to young
people who in some cases may never own anything but an electric. To work
with local legislators and familiarize them to some extent with the urban
planning dynamics which electrification requires.

CT: Seems ambitious. How are you going to do all of that?
BK: Well, I’ve enlisted some aid — none of us can do it alone. Though, I
know I’m saying that to a person who nearly represents the exception. I’m
continually thankful for the work you do, Zach. [Zach officially blushing
now.] For myself, I had the good fortune to meet a number of council persons
around the country who have already planned and installed stations, and each
expressed a willingness to share what they learned. I’m also developing a
charging station citing methodology and Tony Williams of Quick Charge Power
gave me some insights earlier this week which promise to make the second
trip much easier.

CT: It sounds like you have a plan, but what should we expect this all to
look like?
BK: I’m still in the planning stages, but I suspect I’ll be drawing from a
reservoir of information which didn’t exist last year in addition to having
a great deal more experience myself. There are many more stations than there
were before, and all of these things plus a slightly more capable car will
help immensely. There will undoubtedly be countless people asking questions
about electric vehicles, and I intend to be much better positioned to answer
them. By then, I plan to have written a book on owning your first EV, and
with that and a good deal more continued study, I should be well prepared to
tackle the questions of another 50,000 miles.

CT: Hmm, what slightly more capable car?
BK: I’ve got my eye on a white Mercedes B-Class over at Hoehn Mercedes in
Carlsbad. I think it would do the job nicely. Though, that’s also still in
the works. I wonder how many of your readers even know Mercedes already
makes an all-electric.
[© 2016 Sustainable Enterprises Media]

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/brochures/MY16_B.pdf
Battery type  28-kWh lithium-ion ...
Driving range  Up to 87 miles per full charge
Charging time1 @240 volts 3.5 hrs (40 amps) / Less than 2 hrs for a 60-mile
“top-up" [10kW, no level-3]
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-B/bodystyle-EDV

https://chargedevs.com/features/quick-charge-power-tony-williams-on-his-journey-into-the-evse-business/
 ... JAMP JR as a simple, low-cost, portable 40 A solution. You just plug it
into a 50 A outlet and it provides 40 A, or the maximum that your car will
accept.” ... [can provide L2 10kW]
http://www.upgrademyleaf.com
Upgrade My Leaf

http://www.upgrademyleaf.com/example-ii/

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html
(L2 6kW) 25 miles of range per hour of charge and fully replenishes the
battery in about 9 hours
https://transportevolved.com/2016/01/13/gm-may-be-bringing-the-long-range-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-to-market-but-it-wont-be-funding-ccs-infrastructure-development/
 ... 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV would include CCS quick charging as an optional
extra ...
http://www.plugincars.com/tesla-model-3
We expect the Model 3 to use an on-board 10 kW charger, like its sibling
vehicles

https://www.facebook.com/TheNegativeCarbonUSRoadTrip/
Negative Carbon U.S. Road Trip #1
[dated]
http://www.grindtv.com/culture/electric-car-48-state-road-trip/
Man puts electric car to the test on 48-state, 26,000-mile road trip ...
Sep 1, 2015 - While shopping to replace his '99 Honda CX, Brian Kent came
upon the Nissan LEAF and his perception of what an electric car could ...
project sponsor ... Kampgrounds of America (KOA), where he is planting his
trees ...
http://cdn.grindtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Brian.Kent_.jpg
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-first-annual-negative-carbon-u-s-road-trip--2#/
108% funded on August 26, 2015