Tom,

I agree with your theory. We leased a 2011 Leaf, and opted to return it
rather than buy it out.
The primary reason was one of economics. They wanted significantly more for
the remainder than the car was worth on the open market. For example, we
found that we could buy a model year newer with half the miles for a little
less than what Nissan wanted us to pay for the car that we had in hand.
Seemed more than a bit absurd to us.

Regards,
Tom

--
Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82